There are tons of WordPress themes available for us. Some of them are free and some are not. Let’s say we are using a theme which is awesome in every way except a little something here and there. So what we do now? change the complete theme, of course not, we can edit it a little.
Here comes the customization question. Customize the theme by editing the “Stylesheet (style.css)” file can be risky often if we do something terribly wrong. So this is highly not recommended. But WordPress has a better solution for this. WE can create a child theme and edit the child theme if we want to without affecting the parent theme. That is as simple as it sounds.
Today I am going to show you how you can create a child theme for WordPress site in less than three minutes (if your internet speed is better than mine). It is super easy and a work of your left hand. So how you do it. Just follow the instructions bellow.
1. First, go to your dashboard and under left side you can see “plugins” option. By clicking on that you will find the “add new” button which takes you to the add plugins page. See bellow image:
2. On that page, you can see a search button where you need to search a plugin called “child themify” by simply typing words. It will show you the plugin. (There also some other plugins available out there for free and easy but I am showing you with this plugin. If you want you can use similar other plugins. The process almost the same. So no need to worry). See bellow image:
3. Now next step is to install the plugin and activate it by clicking the “activate” button. See bellow image:
4. Next, go to your “theme” option under the “Appearance”. Click on the “theme details” button middle of your current theme. See image:
5. And on “theme details” page, under right side there you will find ” create child theme” option. You need to click on create a child theme button and you are all set to go. You just have created your own personal child theme which you can edit freely. See bellow:
6. You need to give it a name as you wish. And hit the enter button or click on the “lets go” button. See bellow:
There is also a video tutorial available bellow for better understanding. Watch here:
7. Now go again to your theme option and you can see there is a brand new child theme there beside your original parent theme which you need to activate. See image:
From now whenever you need to edit your theme you can do that with the child theme without any tension of messing up something. See here:
Your customization will be there for good and whenever you update your theme there will be nothing changed from your customization.
Note: You do not need the plugin (here is “child themify”) anymore and you can deactivate that. Deactivating will not be going to delete your child theme so it is ok.
Don’t hesitate to ask if you have any confusion about it. You can also subscribe to get the latest tips directly in your email account. Thank you and don’t forget to comment and share.